If you live in New England, then you know this is apple picking season - or, to be truthful, the end of apple picking season! It seems like I have been busy every weekend with soccer, family commitments, and who knows what! Sure, we've talked about it, but something always stopped us from going. Excuses mainly. "Isn't it going to rain today" "You know I've got a school project to do." Or, the dreaded, "Do we have to go today, Mom? They really aren't babies anymore...sigh. Even my attempts to entice the boys through their stomachs have fallen flat. "But boys, think about apple pie, apple pie oatmeal, caramel apples and...." "Can't go today Mom." Obviously appeals to adolescent appetites just don't work anymore.
Just when I thought I'd have to give up my dream -- or worse yet, go apple picking alone, is that even allowed?-- my eldest daughter asked "Hey Mama, can we go apple picking this weekend?" Hurray! So, yeah, at long last, this is apple picking weekend! And hopefully, our local apple orchard, still has some sweet red apples left on those trees cuz I have plenty of things to do with those crispy fruits!
We are going to the Big Apple this weekend!
This is the place to go apple picking in Wrentham... they have great ice cream too!
Apples as works of art...
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange those apples then we will still each have an apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
- George Bernard Shaw
But what can we do with all those apples you ask? Great question!
1. Make Hot mulled apple cider (in the crock pot!!) to wash down some yummy treats!
Get the recipe at tastykitchen.com/
2. Amazing Apple Cider Doughnuts!
Recipe at smittenkitchen.com/
3. Caramel Apple Parfait
4. Healthy Snack: Oven baked Apple Chips
5. Tiny, Twiggy, Caramel Apples at allysonbakerdesign.blogspot.com
6. Homemade Applesauce with a twist at familyfeedbag.com
7. Apple Pie Oatmeal - this is so delicious and easy to make too! Also from familyfeedbag.com
8. Fried Apple Rings with Cinnamon Sugar Dip at howto-simplify.com
9. Mini Apple Pies from piesbyhannah.tumblr.com
10. Saved the best for last: Candy Apple Pie! Get the info at doughmesstic.net
The kids can bob for apples... or
you could decorate your nest!
place in a basket, a vase, or in a bowl with candles
or circle a punch bowl.
make apple garlands or stack in pyramids
or just put them in a bowl ....
So many things to love about Autumn...
Hope you have a great weekend!